Fraud Victims Not Responsible for Unemployment Taxes

Rep. Blaine Wilhour would like people to know that anyone who receives a 1099-G form to pay taxes on on unemployment benefits that they did not apply for or receive is advised to call the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) at 800-244-6531 to report the error.

The Illinois Department of Revenue sends a Form 1099-G to people who collect unemployment so they can pay taxes on what they’d received in the previous year.

The Illinois Department of Revenue released a notice on Jan. 29 saying 1099-G forms were available and gave instructions for identity theft victims. The department said taxpayers wouldn’t be responsible for repaying any benefits or taxes tied to the fraudulent claim. There’s no indication of how long the department would take to correct the matter.